Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Life is a boomerang

I am not a painter.  Folks who know me know that I don’t have any artistic or crafty talents.  But I survived a Paint and Sip fundraiser last month.  In fact, I did more than survive – I actually had fun!

Dan Hoctor, one of the volunteer Employee Campaign Coordinators at Guardian Life, pulled together this fundraiser to support Berkshire United Way.  For $35, I received fantastic instruction from Michelle Iglesias, all the materials I needed to paint a pretty cool autumn tree scene, and made a donation to Berkshire United Way – all at the same time!  I was pleased to see that Berkshire Paint and Sip routinely hosts fundraisers for many area nonprofits and schools.

I signed up mainly because I wanted to support our awesome volunteers at Guardian who were giving of their time and treasure for Berkshire United Way, but also because I was curious about this activity that has seemed to take many of my friends by storm.  When I arrived at the North Street studio, I was happy to see a packed room of eager painters, some as scared as I was.  I saw many familiar faces – donors and volunteers from not only Guardian, but also Crane Currency and Onyx Specialty Papers. 

Paint and Sip participants show off their colorful canvases following an event hosted by Guardian Life Insurance Company of America to benefit Berkshire United Way.

In under two hours, we all had a finished product.  But more importantly, we all shared in an experience that we’ll remember for a long time.  And that’s the best part about our Berkshire community.  There are so many ways to get involved, and, for me, this night helped reinforce the old adage, “you get what you give.” 

For ideas on how you can give, please visit our website at berkshireunitedway.org.

Jenn Kerwood
Vice President of Development

No comments:

Post a Comment